After the engagement he would come to visit me at home as I had not agreed to talk on the phone. I felt that unreserved phone conversations could lead to misunderstanding between two people who hardly knew each other. After all we had all our lives to get to know each other.
It may sound bizarre that two very educated people in this day and age agreed to get married without knowing each other. But ten years down the road we have found love and respect for each other, the ability to be comfortable with each other and let each other be comfortable in our own spaces. We have been together in sickness and in health. We trust each other and look after each other. We are independent people and yet we depend on each other. We may not hold hands in public but we share an intense attraction for each other.
We have got on each other’s nerves and got into arguments but I never remember having stopped talking to each other. There have been bad times too but we never gave up on each other. We just worked things out.
We both have a fondness for travel and discovering new places. Together we have seen 8 countries from the Far East to Europe to the United States. Not only were we learning about new cultures and people but also little by little of each other. It has been an exciting journey.
Yesterday we had gone out at night because my husband wanted to buy a screen protector for his new phone. It was out of stock and we decided to go home but stop for coffee on the way back. As we reached near the coffee place my husband asked me if I was up for it and I told him I was too tired and that we should just head home. We had stopped on the red light when a car apparently out of control crashed through the divider and towards us. It stopped just in front of us. The driver and the passenger were unhurt but if we had decided to go to the coffee place we would have been in the left most lane and surely would have been hit.
It was a scary experience and when I saw that car coming towards us I called out to my husband. That was my first reaction. After a while we both realized how close we had come to being hurt badly. We could have been in the hospital on our anniversary.
Instead, by the Grace of God we will celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary tomorrow night with our amazing son and close family next to the beautiful Dubai fountains.
A journey of ten years,
Around the world and with each other,
Are marriages made in heaven?
Yes maybe. For beyond us it is rather,
The factors that come into play
That bring two people together.
But then it’s up to us two
To make things work face to face
Never giving up on each other,
And forever praying for God’s grace.
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- MY FAIR LADY – GARRY ARMSTRONG | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: Unconventional Love – Strangely True | SERENDIPITY
- MY STRANGELY WONDERFUL ROMANCE | SERENDIPITY
- My Funny Valentine | Vampire Maman
- Hallmark holiday | Mindful Digressions
- False Expectations | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- Playlist | Perceptive Pot Clueless Kettle
- Fragrant valentine | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- Valentine’s Day Can’t Insult My Intelligence if There’s Snow | Bumblepuppies
- Love Surrounds You | ReFreshing Life
- Lessons from the Ghosts of Valentines Past | The Femindiary
- Day 25: Why I Married a Man who got me a Hairdryer for Valentine’s Day | The Ravenously Disappearing Woman
- Validation Day – Valentine’s Day from an Honest Woman’s Perspective | Shoot the messenger
- Weekly Writing Challenge| Single Awareness Day | Amy (and The Teddy With Sunglasses)
- my first valentine | Musings of a Random Mind
- Afraid of Valentine’s Day? | Myammy! Moving in together at 50…
- Weekly Writing Challenge: My Funny Valentine. It’s Not Always FUNny. | Tales from the Motherland
- I’ve been alone for a long time | “The Ish,” presented by the Bohemian Rock Star
- Ah Bloody Valentines! | The life of T
- Brief facts on Valentines day/Weekly Writing challenge | standinginthestorm
- Weekly Writing Challenge – Valentine – The Hopeless Unromantic |
- I Should Have At Least Called | Sam’s Online Journal
- Ode to My Valentine | DCTdesigns Creative Canvas
- Weekly Writing Challenge: My Funny Valentine? | imagination
- Not Your Average Valentine | The Short Pages
- My Funny Valentine: Monday Monster Mashup meets the Weekly Writing Challenge! | jak & Cimmy’s Journal Jar
- (Un)Funny Valentine – Daily Post “My Funny Valentine?” Challenge 2/10/2014 | blogged artistry
- To My Valentine… | Babbleogue
- Love of Many Shoes | Mary J Melange
- Valentine, Part Two/DP Challenge | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- It’s Valentine’s Day! | TNT
- St. Hallmark Day Doth Approach | The Eclectic Poet
- Valentine’s Day…some wifely advice
- The Boy I Married | East Meets Breast
- The Valentine’s Letter I wished I’d sent…. | Brownies, Pixies & Horny Toads
- [WWC] Valentine’s day | Reatividades
- My Funny Valentine? | “Crone-ing”
- My Forever Crush | My Weigh To Lose
- Weekly Writing Challenge: My Funny Valentine? – Love, Love, Love | SA:ME (사메)
- A STRANGELY WONDERFUL ROMANCE | SERENDIPITY
- Last Minute Expressions of Love | Moments for the journey
- The Good Wife | Cabin Pressure May Change
- Weekly Writing Challenge-Love As An Earthling- A Comedy | The Lyons Den
- We Will Review The Cows! | Not the Family Business!
- Preparing for My First Real Valentine’s Day | Lilly Lane
- Get your lovin’ on | why i left my job
- VISITAS Y PAISES | palabrasdecielo.wordpress.com
- » Weekly Writing Challenge: My Funny Valentine? | Chiquitita
- DAILY POST: Weekly Writing Challenge | the story of my life
- Love Yourself | thenaturalprofessor
- Weekly Writing Challenge: My Funny Valentine | No Apologies
- Ghost Forest | litadoolan