I’m the biggest coward around. I can’t watch scary movies. I just can’t.
My husband and I go to the cinema every Friday afternoon. We can watch thrillers, drama, comedy, sci-fi, anything entertaining. There’s just one restriction: no scary movies.
I can’t even watch trailers of scary movies. I’d much rather stare at my popcorn and try to shut out the screams and weird noises than even look at the screen.
The closest I managed to watch to a scary movie and usually zombie movies are a big no no was “World War Z”. My husband really wanted to watch it as he had read the book and there was no other movie that weekend and then there was the Brad Pitt factor, so I said yes. Till many days I had flashes of scary zombies piling up against the walls. I tried to concentrate on Brad Pitt but those overzealous zombies were just too much.
I don’t like to be scared. It’s not entertaining. It leaves me with a bad after taste. I’ve never understood why someone would pay money willingly to be scared.
When I was growing up we used to visit my grandmother every summer. She lived in a very Victorian house with a massive driveway and grounds. We used to scare each other as children and pretend the house was haunted. It may well have been. I remember it was dimly lit and had curtains behind each door where anything could have been hiding. Later after my grandparents passed away, my uncle modernized it.
One evening we were all sitting in the lounge watching TV when I saw the silhouette of a man in the window. I asked my uncle if any of his workmen were still working at that hour and told him what I had seen. He went out to investigate but there was no one there. I don’t know what it was that I saw but I remember that very strangely I was not scared. Everyone else was!
My husband in his last job lived in a compound that was in an area known to be haunted. Of course I didn’t move with him there (also because I didn’t want to quit my job in the city). The poor guy lived there alone (along with various other entities) for two years. He told me about several instances when he would lock the door of an unused room and find it unlocked the next door or hear women talking outside his room in the middle of the night. But families were living in that compound for years and nobody had ever been harmed.
Usually we don’t celebrate Halloween as it’s not one of our traditions. But this year we’ve been invited to a Halloween party and I’m not sure what it’s going to be like. If they’re going to be scaring the guests I’m not going to like it at all!
- Fright or Friend? | The Ambitious Drifter
- Daily Prompt: Fright Night | Under the Monkey Tree
- Wr!nkly | mët•aRVhëë•n✪ia
- again and again | y
- PROJECT R – Poetic Turn | vicbriggs’s blog
- The Creeps I Am Looking For | Daily Prompt: Fright Night | likereadingontrains
- Salem’s Lot at Midnight in a small town or Fear « RPMAS
- About Time – Extending the ability | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Daily Prompt: Fright Night (Yikes!) | Awl and Scribe
- Thrills & Chills [Daily Prompt: Fright Night] | unknowinglee
- Fear lurks inside me | crookedeyebrows
- Fear | Sue’s Trifles
- 194. Frightened by Fright | Barely Right of Center
- Sleepless Nights (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Angst vor Gemüse? « Schnick Schnack Schnuck
- Why my aunt scares me | JC Bride ~
- A vampire in the fridge | MC’s Whispers
- i don’t do scary | wannabepoet
- What It Takes To Fear | Lemonaded Lemons
- Fright Night | Kate Murray
- Fright Night – Scared of a baby | Geek Ergo Sum
- Scared | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Fright Night « Mama Bear Musings
- the joy of being scared… | hitting a brick wall
- How We Almost Didn’t Make It To Vietnam | scribbles in the chocolate box
- Frightening!!! | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Living in Fear | Prayers and Promises
- Daily Prompt: FRIGHT WITH SCREAMING AND HOTDOGS | SERENDIPITY
- Catharsis or system breakdown? | alienorajt
- I’m just Super Saiyan
- Ascending the Pipe | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Scared | mostlytrueramblings
- Nothing Is Too Scary | Creative Mysteries
- Scare-raising: it’s not just for anyone anymore! | Rob’s Surf Report
- Daily Prompt: Fright Night | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- I Love a Good Scare. | EMBRACE YOU
- In The Woods | A Good One
- Daily Prompt : Horrors! | The Library Lady and Rosie Bear
- Frightening Prompt – Can you handle this scary one? | observerse
- Daily Prompt: Fright Night | fortunenatus’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Fright Night | Eccentric Lady
- This Is (My) Halloween | A Sign Of Life
- Daily Prompt: Fright Night | lifebeinggirly
- Scared | Flowers and Breezes
- Sobre Blogs | Blog da Dé
- Who’s Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf? | meanderedwanderings