If you want to meet stubborn, meet my son. He’s 4 years old and once he’s made up his mind about something there’s no way he’s going to budge.
He has lately decided that he doesn’t want to go to school. I have tried every way to make him change his mind but it hasn’t worked. I have given him incentives like the promise of a prize if he goes. I have threatened him with punishments of taking away his toys, that did make him go one day but the next day he was back to usual. . I have tried to get him as bored as possible if he misses a day to show him how staying at home is not fun. He keeps following me around as he hates being on his own and loves company. But that is also difficult for me as I have started doing some freelance work and I was counting on having the mornings to myself.
Once I do manage to get him to school, he settles down quickly and doesn’t have any problems for the rest of the day. He interacts with his classmates and does all the activities as instructed. He even has his lunch well. He comes home and tells me he has had fun but the next morning he is refusing again. He doesn’t mind getting up early and we are generally not even rushed as his school is just nearby.
I have asked him many times if he has a problem in school or if someone said something to him but he hasn’t told me anything of significance. Neither has he told his teacher anything. Today I even asked his older cousin, my nephew who is a very sensible boy to talk to him and ask him if he has any problem in school. He talked to him but couldn’t ascertain any problem that he might be facing. He likes to talk a lot and if he had a problem I think he would have confided in someone. I can only come to the conclusion that he has no issues with school itself.
Yet he continues to show his stubbornness and refuse to go to school. Today his dad came along too and it took so long to get him inside that he got late going to office. I am at my wit’s end and in desperation I have decided to seek professional help. I have booked an appointment with a clinical psychologist in the hope that she might give us some good advice.
Till then I have to keep trying to get him to school because if gets into the routine of not going it will get even more difficult to make him go. I have nightmares of my only child becoming a dropout. I can only hope that when he grows up we will just be laughing about this – the time when he nearly dropped out of nursery.
- 1930 – Rolls Royce Phantom II | The Bliss of Reality
- Sunlight on the plant | Crazy Art
- Daily Prompt: Never Surrender | Basically Beyond Basic
- Telenovela Style | Mila’s Misadventures
- Setting | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Spiked AA 🙂 | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- lone deer (steadfast) | photo potpourri
- Reel On You ! | Life Confusions
- Eric’s Aria (Part 2) | The Jittery Goat
- DP Daily Prompt: Never Surrender | Sabethville
- ‘What doesn’t kill you…’ | Rima Hassan
- Care to Dare | Rima Hassan
- Never surrender | Sue’s Trifles
- 400 Pound Burden | Rima Hassan
- Stubborn is as Stubborn Does | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Headstrong | Active Army Wife
- Night at the Pier | Greg Urbano
- On Homophobia | AS I PLEASE
- of scary monsters and nice spites | Anawnimiss
- Daily Prompt: Never Surrender- Differentiating Between Resilience and Stubbroness | Journeyman
- The Trial, Not For the Weak of Faint of Heart: Part 1 | jlaneb
- No surrender on Mental Illness awareness/tolerance | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- There are just some things I like done or doing a certain way. The right way. | thoughtsofrkh
- Stubborn as a Mule! | meanderedwanderings
- Pardon me for everything I’m about to say | Attempted Human Relations and Self
- Welcome to the jungle | The verbal hedge
- Daily Prompt: Never Surrender | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- How Are You Toward Health Goals, Easy Going Or Stubborn? | Because It Calms My Nerves:
- The Conundrum | Each Feather, A Freedom
- Java, Joe, Carbon Remover, Plasma | Exploratorius