When I started working, I was sent for training to France for 3 months. I went with a group of colleagues and each of us was given a studio apartment.
My mother tried to teach me a few simple recipes and made me write them down. However luckily I never had to try them out as one person in our group was an expert cook. We used to eat together and since everyone had to contribute I always volunteered to do the dishes. Thus I was spared having to cook anything.
When I got married I used to live with my mother-in-law who would do the cooking which was just great for me. I was also working full time and this gave me an excuse not to spend too much time in the kitchen. Of course there was an occasional dish that I knew how to make which my husband liked so I would venture in the kitchen for that.
Later when we moved into our own house my mother-in-law (Bless her) arranged for a lady to come in and do the basic cooking for us. She was a real expert but I never managed to learn anything from her.
When I left my job I no longer had an excuse not to do the cooking. And so reluctantly I had to. For some reason I have never liked the fact that you put in so much effort into something which will just be eaten. Another reason may be that I am not very good at it and I generally don’t like doing something I am not good at.
What is interesting is that I like watching cooking shows. I love the way those expert chefs are given some ordinary ingredients and they put together an exciting dish and that too in a limited time. If I was so good at cooking I would definitely love it too.
- Daily Prompt: Those Dishes Won’t Do Themselves (Unfortunately) | Basically Beyond Basic
- Pipework | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- The Travels of Zack | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Those Dishes Won’t Do Themselves (Unfortunately) | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Daily Prompt: Those Clotheses Won’t Fold Themselves | Under the Monkey Tree
- Home | My Little Avalon
- Daily Prompt: Those Clothes Won’t Fold Themselves | Under the Monkey Tree
- Hoover Wizard | Mara Eastern’s Personal Blog
- Daily Prompt: Those Dishes Won’t Do Themselves (Unfortunately) | Awl and Scribe
- Just a dustrag | marjanitalarosa
- Home – Daily Post | Linda Long Writes!
- A Hero’s Home | L5GN
- I Do Not Do Anything Anyways | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Chore Lists, Unmatched Socks and One Medieval Monk | meanderedwanderings
- The Damned Vacuum- I say that lovingly | The Shotgun Girls
- The Superstitions attached with Putting the Silverware Away « psychologistmimi
- Chores… | Kate Murray
- Daily Prompt: Home | Tommia’s Tablet
- Daily Prompt: Those Dishes Won’t Do Themselves (Unfortunately) | Being a Huntress
- Folding | Active Army Wife
- The Toddler Chore Challenge | The Pinterested Parent
- Ironing | Life is great
- Ugh, dishes.. | Relax
- It’s a Chore | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- PERFECT EXCEPT FOR THE DUST BUNNIES | Serendipity
- Dishes! | Wanderlein
- Dark Night of the Sink / Daily Prompt | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am