Share a time when you were overcome with guilt. What were the circumstances? How did you overcome your guilt?
There was a time when I bought myself a pair of designer shoes. Now usually I do not indulge myself in this way but somehow my sister convinced me that I should have at least one pair of designer shoes. Not that I can blame her, I obviously wanted them too. She came with me and after several shops we at last decided on one pair. They were the most beautiful shoes I have ever slid my feet into and I just gave into them. When I was paying for them I thought “What am I doing? That’s a lot of money!” But it was too late to back out and I went home with my beauties.
When I tried them on that night they felt uncomfortable and tight. Was it my guilt manifesting itself? No it was not my imagination, they were definitely not comfortable. I decided I would keep trying them on until they got OK. All leather shoes open up according to your feet.
After a month they were still tight. I tried to return them to the store but they told me it was too late to exchange them and they convinced me that I would have to wear them for a longer period of time for them to open up and that they were the correct size.
I felt so guilty that I had wasted so much money. Was my poor husband working so hard so that I could buy a pair of expensive shoes that didn’t even fit me? Couldn’t I have put that money to better use? How could I have been so over indulgent. I thought about those poor children you see in the street barefoot. How many shoes could I have bought for them with that amount of money? Oh my God, I’m such a bad person!
My husband saw me trying to sell those shoes on Dubizzle. He told me that if for once I had bought something nice for myself I should just try to enjoy it. He said I should just wear them properly so they fit me well. “And stop being neurotic!” he added.
So at the next dinner I went to I was strutting about in my beautiful black Christian Dior heels. My guilt does crop up now and then but I’ve decided to keep them and enjoy them as much as I can. After all that’s the only pair of designer shoes I’ll ever have.
- S. Thomas Summers | A Small, White Chapel
- Reflections | The Ambitious Drifter
- You name it, I’m probably carrying some guilt related to it | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: The Guilt that Haunts Me | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- Hopping in Puddles | 365 days of defiance
- Sick Love Guilty Plea | Cornelison
- Reflective | My Play Nook
- “A clear conscience is a continual Christmas.” Benjamin Franklin | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: The Guilt that haunts me | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- The Baggage of Guilt | meanderedwanderings
- unpardonable | fragments of life
- Buying Reflections | Whispered Words
- Daily Prompt: The Guilt that Haunts Me: Can I think about this after Christmas, please? | sixty, single and surviving
- Giving | kaffechai
- A Death in Morocco | As I please
- Feelings Of Remorse | Flowers and Breezes
- The “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” and Mother Teresa | MamaMickTerry
- Daily Prompt – Guilt: A Poem for Christmas | I Hope You’re Taking Notes
- Heroes : Alan Turing | Geek Ergo Sum