I was 8 months pregnant with my son and my husband was living in another town some two hours away by car. He used to commute on the weekends. I was working full time 9 to 6 but we had a driver who would take me to work and bring me back.
One evening I returned home and when I tried to unlock my door I saw that the lock had been broken and the door was open. I entered my home to see that nothing was out of place. What I didn’t realize immediately was that the intruder might still be in the house hiding somewhere!
I rang up my husband who immediately told me to lock myself in my room and have my pistol ready. In those days I had a pistol which I had learnt how to use. My husband said he would be leaving immediately to come home. We didn’t alert the police because, well, in my country you usually try to avoid getting involved with the police.
When my husband arrived he searched the whole house and thankfully found nobody. Also nothing had been touched. Apparently the intruder had broken the lock but something had scared him before he could enter. What made him run away, we will never know.
Later I realized fully what a close call I had. I don’t know what I would have done had I come face to face with the intruder. I am glad that never happened.
- Листья на заборе | Markovich Arts
- Spinning a Web of Words | In Harmony
- Silence in the Metro | MC’s Whispers
- Close | The Magic Black Book
- A knife and “you don’t love me so you have to die” | RPMAS
- Daily Prompt: Close Call | 3 Nish on a Journey
- Daily Prompt: Close Call | Insanitree
- Daily Prompt: Close Call | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: Close Call | Under the Monkey Tree
- Close. | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Close Call | Awl and Scribe
- That One Time I Almost Got Married | Dear Yolandi
- A(n?) Haiku for you… | thoughtsofrkh
- Live peacefully | crookedeyebrows
- Just missing the femoral artery | alienorajt
- DAILY PROMPT: TOO CLOSE TO CALL | SERENDIPITY
- The man with nine lives: Part III | noah121weiss
- 25/11 Daily Prompt: Close Call | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- Close Call: Nowhere Man | James Clegg
- A Petulant Pimple and a Middle Finger Salute | sayanything
- ermahgerhd | Almost Dead
- Walk in the dark. | Whispered Words
- Daily Prompt: Close Call | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- On the Road Again With A Close Call | Kansa Muse
- So close…. | Inside of love
- Close Call | Flowers and Breezes
- Close as a close thing | Kate Murray
- Woke Up As A Eunuch* | Finale to an Entrance
- Living on… | Haiku By Ku
- The Train On The Track | The Jittery Goat
- Molotov cocktail | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Close Call – Why I Won’t Ride a Bike | I Hope You’re Taking Notes
- Daily Prompt: Close Call | Sued51’s Blog