“O dweller of the graves, peace be upon you. May Allah forgive us and you. You reached before us and we will follow behind you.”
This is what the young man prayed as he entered the graveyard. He reached the end of the rows of the graves and came to one simply marked with his father’s name and year of birth and death. He remembered that day 5 years ago as if it was yesterday.
He had finished his O’Level exams and felt a sense of relief. He had done quite well he thought. He was sure he would make his father proud. Maybe he would finally convince him to let him join the army. He never understood why being a Colonel in the Armored Corps himself, he was against his son following in his footsteps.
That afternoon instead of his father’s staff car bringing him home, an army jeep came to their house. A senior officer came to talk to his mother who soon broke down when she heard the news.
A suicide bomber on a motorcycle had collided with his father’s car killing both him and his driver on the spot.
It was then that he understood why his father hadn’t wanted him to join the army. He was trying to protect his only son.
- Archive of Comments | Arlen Shahverdyan. Author’s Blog
- WEEKLY WRITING CHALLENGE: FADING TRACES AND OLD MEMORIES | SERENDIPITY
- Traces | Kansa Muse
- Breadcrumbs | Master Of Disaster
- The Art of War | K beezy is viral
- Wet cement | Margaret Rose Stringer
- She was a memory | thinkerscap
- Traces: DP Challenge | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- Arrogance Insults My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- The Lavender Flowers | Stories From My Mind
- Trace | MindMeld
- Lavender and Rain | So This Is Writing?
- Like Flowers on a Grave | loveletterstoaghost
- Day Twenty-Four: Veteran At Death | Clearing My Voice
- it’s veterans day | Musings of a Random Mind
- Traces of You | UP! With Jesus
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Traces [Week 1] | Goss Family Blog
- DP Weekly Challenge/Traces: The Things He Left Behind | Between Madness & Euphoria
- Weekly Writing Challenge; Traces | terry1954
- Remembering You | Lucky Number Devin
- Lilac | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- My Life in Stuffing, Words, and Paint: Searching for an Identity | The Positivity Project
- 12/11 Weekly Writing Challenge: Traces | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Traces | imaginations
- Traces of my soul | મન ની વાત
- Gone fishin’ | Thin spiral notebook
- in the middle of | y
- Ode To Something Great | The Dread Pirate Buttercup