When I was a child I was a bit of an expert in checkers. I used to play with my dad and had learnt all the tricks. In checkers you have to play aggressively because it cannot be won by being defensive.
Towards the end of the game when you only have a few pieces left you can run into one of the corners and keep moving the piece from one square to the other. But there’s a way to flush out that piece from that corner. My dad taught me how to do it.
The best feeling is when you give up one of your pieces to capture two or three pieces of the opponent. Especially when they don’t see it coming.
Once we had one of our relatives over who saw me with my checkers board and challenged me to a game. Now I was a child and he was an adult and on the face of it, it wasn’t an equal match. Meaning he didn’t stand a chance.
After the devastation when his last piece was left which I was in a position to take, I looked at my dad as if to say “Should I do it?” After all he was a guest and it was only polite to ask. After getting a nod from my dad I finished off the game.
Fast forward to this year and I was on a flight with my family to Oman. My husband and I decided to check out the in-flight entertainment. The games included checkers as well. Unknowingly my husband challenged me to a game.
Needless to say the game lasted only a few minutes. It was total annihilation. Apparently I haven’t forgotten all the tricks. My dad would have been proud.
- Competition | Colline’s Blog
- Mah-Jongg: Drama in the home! | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Game | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Its All About The Game | Life Confusions
- Daily Prompt: The Perfect Game | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: The Perfect Game « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: The Perfect Game | Under the Monkey Tree
- Dogs Playing Poker | Just Visiting This Planet
- Daily Prompt: The Perfect Game | Basically Beyond Basic
- Roll to Work Together: A Story About Dungeons and Dragons | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- A Game of Groans | Fruit Salad
- Bluff | Barefoot on Rainy Days
- Your Turn | The Elephant Under The Chair
- What if we played a game? | Okay, what if ?
- Daily Prompt: The Perfect Game | lifebeinggirly
- The players are lined up. | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt: The Perfect Game | BulgingButtons
- Vicious | Momma Roars
- Scrabble To Play | Flowers and Breezes
- Poker Face | Charron’s Chatter
- Unspoken Words | melanielynngriffin
- Resilience | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- It’s only a game | tjbarkerseattle
- Competition| The Most Dangerous Game | Words from the heart
- The Perfect Game | Kate Murray
- Daily Prompt; The Perfect Game | terry1954
- Cruel Games | vicbriggs’s blog
- The perfect game | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- S. Thomas Summers | Daily Prompt: Competition (Photos)
- What? It’s Not Like I Said ‘Let Them Eat Brussel Sprouts!’ | Catching A Scent of Salt…
- Daily Prompt: Polo Competition | phoenixtatgirl
- What’s The Perfect Game? | 365 Days of Thank You
- Battle Bra Royale | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Winning! (while reading this title, visualise American actor Charlie Sheen) | Forlorn Hope: A Diary Of A Broken Heart
- How To Win At Scrabble | Edward Hotspur
- Daily Prompt: The Perfect Game | IMHO
- Daily Prompt Challenge ~ Competition | soletusknow
- Check. — You will be yelled at. | mommyverbs
- The UnGame | Chasing Rabbit Holes
- Daily Prompt: The Perfect Game | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- The Writing Post [Weekly Edition 001] | The Eremitic World
- The Perfect Game | standinginthestorm