Grab the nearest book. Open it and go to the tenth word. Do a Google Image Search of the word. Write about what the image brings to mind.
As I put my son to sleep the book nearest to me was “Stories for 3 year olds”. I happened to open the book on the story about Nigel the pet crocodile who visits the dentist because he has a cherry stone stuck in his tooth. “Sit” says the dentist to Nigel and that was the 10th word on the page.
A search of “sit” on Google Image Search didn’t really turn up anything interesting, but it did remind me of this photo of my son. He’s sitting on his favorite Disney Cars chair and imitating his teacher Ms Faiza.
“Circle time boys and girls!” he calls. “On the red line, legs crossed!”
And he opens his book “The Smartest Giant in Town” and starts to “read” aloud from memory.
“George was the scruffiest giant in town. He wore the same brown sandals and the same patched-up gown…”
My son goes to a Montessori and I love the way they provide a stimulating environment for the children. This helps them to develop within themselves the habits, attitudes, skills and ideas essential for a lifetime of creative thinking and learning. They teach them respect and courtesy, discipline and most importantly how to be independent.
I observed my son on their orientation last week when school reopened after the summer holidays. He would take out one tray, play with the materials in it, then tidy up and put it back before taking out another tray.
Another time when I accompanied my son on his school trip to the aquarium I watched incredulously as Ms Faiza blew her whistle and the children put away their coloring pencils and papers, tucked their chairs in and fell into line.
I have seen my son in the last academic year, grow from a quiet boy who lacked self confidence into someone who has an opinion and a question for everything and who loves interacting with other children and adults alike. By the end of the last term he was meeting and exceeding expectations. A major factor for this progress shown was the dedication of his teacher who believed he could live up to his potential.
Teachers are amazing and this post is dedicated to them.
This post has been written in response to the Daily Prompt: Bookworms
- Well, Well. | Godrick Gnomish
- My very own Land’s End | A Teacher’s Blog from Land’s End
- Gone | Daily Prompt: Bookworms | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms in a Bookish Home | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: Books | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Found on Road Side Dead [Fix or Repair Daily] « RPMAS
- Thoth: Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms « Vicariously Poetic
- The tenth word. | Crossroads
- I | thoughtsofrkh
- S. Thomas Summers | Why I Visit Books
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Uncle Spike’s Adventures
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | lena de almeida
- Perched on the branch of life | mostlytrueramblings
- Floating | Motherhood and Beyond
- Look Before You Jump . . . To Conclusions | meanderedwanderings
- Through Big Thompson Canyon | Conversations
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms « Mama Bear Musings
- A Pile of (Old) Books | Shilpa Sharma Online
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms “Conversation” | Let There be Peace on Earth
- My nearest book | Life & Times
- Wanted: Help | To Pursue Happiness
- What have we here then? | dawnyhosking
- Confessions of a Former Bookworm | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Penguin | Mara Eastern’s Personal Blog
- Scholarship | crookedeyebrows
- Why is everyone gettin’ jiggy with Will? | The Unthemed Nook
- Buzz Light-Year | The Jittery Goat
- thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- Bookworms and summer | Frankenasian.com
- Morning | STAIN
- I can’t believe I’m writing this! | Neva Samaki
- Daily Prompt; Bookworms/ The Daily Post | terry1954
- BEAT IT | Romelga writes
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Break Those Chains | Tony’s Texts
- Assume | the many facets of donna
- Daily Prompt: Enclosed, But Not Trapped | Creative Mysteries
- The Tenth Word is Doorway | Virginia Views
- Riches | Better Than Reality
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms – The Last Out | IF I ONLY HAD A TIME MACHINE
- Spinning dust | shame
- The Butcher | Flowers and Breezes
- Red Lake | Going New Places!
- Speaking volumes | Sue’s Trifles
- Comedy….the tenth word. (wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- •◦ ђave, ђave ภot ◦• | The RunningFather Blog
- Love Letter to Fanny Brawne | In Harmony
- Daily Prompt: Intended | Personal Sentiments
- Oh Pithy Me
- Terror Within Her | Oh Pithy Me
- Daily Prompt: Reader | lifebeinggirly
- Words, Words, Words… | Tommia’s Tablet
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | BulgingButtons
- Bookery Books | The Nameless One
- The Key to the Treasure | and yadda yadda yadda…i made aliyah
- All Roads Lead to Rome | mardmood
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | I am Super Istar
- Here’s Johnny… | Just Visiting This Planet
- Airborne Bookworms… | The Rider
- Bookworm | Processing the life
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | cjsmiths
- Daily Prompt: Bookworm (and it ended up to be a review on the book!) | reyoflight
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | My Atheist Blog